Vision: A community and world where all people are loved unconditionally, healed comprehensively, and valued universally.
Mission: First Christian Church will be a transformational church body that helps people to know Jesus Christ; practices extravagant hospitality that heals; and shows Jesus’ love through caring, sharing faith, and resisting injustice. (Micah 6:8-9; Matthew 25:31-46)
What We Believe
Like most Christians, Disciples affirm that Jesus Christ is the son of the Living God, and offers saving grace to all. All persons are God’s children.
Beliefs and Practices of Disciples
- Open Communion – The Lord’s Supper, Eucharist or Communion is celebrated in weekly worship. The Communion Table belongs to Christ, and he invites all to partake.
- Freedom of Belief – Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences and are expected to be guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit, prayer and cultural realities, not just as individuals but within the community of Christian faith, practice and accountability. Of course we extend this level of responsible freedom to others, graciously.
- Baptism by Immersion – In baptism the old self-centered life is set aside, and a new life of trust in God in the tradition of Jesus Christ begins. Although Disciples practice baptism by immersion, other baptismal traditions are honored.
- Belief in the Oneness of the Church – All Christians are called to be one in Christ and to seek opportunities for worship, common witness and service.
- The Ministry of Believers – Both ministers and lay persons lead in worship, nurture and the ministry of the church.